The healthiest teeth this summer are the ones cared for between visits. A “toolkit” for dental health requires a little bit of planning, but each tool plays a key role in protecting teeth and gums from disease. E. Scott Saltzman, DMD, makes sure that every Triangle patient understands the basics of home dental care. E. Scott Saltzman DMD Family and Cosmetic Dentistry’s webpage even includes a thorough explanation of how to brush, floss, and rinse.
Dental patients in the Triangle need to understand five important facts:
- Toothbrush: The number one dental tool is the toothbrush. Both the classic and the electric can do the proper job of cleaning teeth. Dr. Saltzman recommends soft brushes as these are less likely to damage teeth, enamel, and gums. Brushes should be replaced at least every three months.
- String floss or interdental picks: Whether waxed or unwaxed, string floss effectively removes plaque from teeth when consistently used. Dental picks are also good for many patients as well. Teeth should be flossed at least once every 24 hours, but twice a day or more is ideal.
- Water flosser: Water irrigation shoots a strong stream of water between teeth and at the gum line. Patients with gum disease have achieved significant improvement with daily use of a water flosser. Many patients find them easier to use than string floss.
- Mouthwash: Bacteria is the enemy of both teeth and gums. Rinsing with an antiseptic mouthwash once or twice a day kills the bacteria before it can do damage. Mouthwash is a great preventative measure that also cleans the tongue and entire interior of the mouth; something not possible with brushing and flossing alone.
- Toothpaste: There are many choices of toothpaste on the market today. Dr. Saltzman recommends choosing one containing fluoride. Some products are designed for those with sensitive teeth and others include whitening agents. The best one is the brand that is liked the best.
Regular dental cleanings and exams are all part of the Dr. Saltzman tool kit for great dental health as well. If it’s been more than six months since the last cleaning, call the office of E. Scott Saltzman DMD Family and Cosmetic Dentistry today.
Our office in Cary is accepting new patients. Enjoy the summer!
This informative post about the dental health tool kit and cosmetic treatments is brought to you by Saltzman Family and Cosmetic Dentistry in Cary NC. Please call us for an appointment today.
919 380 9311
202 Town Village Drive
Cary, NC 27513
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
The material contained in this blog article is intended solely for informational purposes and is not intended to be offered as medical advice in any manner or form. Always consult a dentist, doctor or licensed medical professional with any questions.