Some Triangle residents probably started the New Year using an unusual Christmas gift: an electric toothbrush. It took them only a few brushings to discover what many dental professionals already know; the electric toothbrush is a great way to improve dental health. Dr. E. Scott Saltzman is eager to see the improvement in teeth and gums that these devices provide his patients. Some patients always will prefer a manual brush, but for those considering investing in an electric toothbrush, Dr. Saltzman has compiled a list of their top benefits.
Consider these five benefits when deciding whether to buy an electric toothbrush:
- Two-minute rule: An electric toothbrush does an effective job in just two minutes. Some electric toothbrushes alert the user when they have reached two minutes, ensuring they have brushed long enough. Dr. Saltzman advises patients to devote a half-minute to each quadrant of the mouth for complete cleaning.
- More effective cleaning: Rotating heads on electric brushes reach areas that manual brushes cannot, including between the teeth. The brush’s motion and pressure give equal cleaning to all tooth surfaces, something that is difficult to accomplish with a manual brush. A recently published study determined electric toothbrush use results in healthier gums and less tooth decay compared to manual brushing.
- Good for the gums: Instructions with electric toothbrushes tell the user to angle the brush at 45 degrees to tooth and gum. At this angle, the brush cleans the teeth and the gum line, which helps prevent gum disease.
- Easy to use: A family can share one electric base. Each person has their own brush head, which should be replaced every three months, just as with a manual toothbrush. The brush’s action does the work. Children and the elderly find the large handle easier to hold and move than a manual brush.
- Controls bad breath: Oral bacteria is one of the causes of bad breath. Effective brushing removes the food that gets lodged between teeth and gums. Some electric brushes have sensitive settings that can be used for cleaning the tongue and roof of the mouth, further adding to a clean, fresh mouth.
Call our friendly staff today to schedule an appointment. 919 380 9311.
This informative post about dental health and cosmetic treatments is brought to you by Saltzman Family and Cosmetic Dentistry in Cary NC. Please call us for an appointment today.
919 380 9311
202 Town Village Drive
Cary, NC 27513
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
The material contained in this blog article is intended solely for informational purposes and is not intended to be offered as medical advice in any manner or form. Always consult a dentist, doctor or licensed medical professional with any questions.