The beginning of a new school year means many new experiences for lots of Triangle students. This busy time of year can be the perfect moment to help youngsters develop lifelong habits of good dental health. Because school imposes a predictable structure to the day, this can make it easier to help children remember daily dental care. Dr. E. Scott Saltzman DMD, can help children learn about the proper dental care and the importance of regular professional cleanings. Although young children may not understand the importance of dental health, parents can develop strategies that encourage good habits.
The office of E. Scott Saltzman DMD Family and Cosmetic Dentistry offers these five suggestions for teaching about dental care:
- Visit Dr. Saltzman: To alleviate concerns about visiting the dentist, a child could accompany a parent to a cleaning and exam. The environment will seem less frightening if the child is already familiar with the surroundings, sounds and dental tools.
- Start young: It’s important for children to keep their primary teeth healthy. Therefore, a child is almost never too young to begin visiting the dentist for regular check-ups.
- Make it fun: Child-sized toothbrushes are made in fun colors and designs; some have images of favorite cartoon characters or animals. Parents can use a small dental mirror to show children their own teeth.
- Plan for snacks: Sweetened drinks and sugary snacks play havoc with dental health. Pack lunches and snacks for school that include fresh fruits, raw vegetables, and whole grains.
- Set the example: Parents can make it a routine to brush and floss after breakfast and dinner with their children. Youngsters want to emulate their parents and this example will reinforce the idea that dental care is a daily habit.
Finding the right dentist is often not easy. Giving Dr. Saltzman a call starts the process. We treat all family members, so call our office today. E. Scott Saltzman DMD Family and Cosmetic Dentistry makes family dental care a priority and is currently accepting new patients.
This informative post about children and dental health is brought to you by Saltzman Family and Cosmetic Dentistry in Cary NC. Please call us for an appointment today.
919 380 9311
202 Town Village Drive
Cary, NC 27513
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
The material contained in this blog article is intended solely for informational purposes and is not intended to be offered as medical advice in any manner or form. Always consult a dentist, doctor or licensed medical professional with any questions.