Scott Saltzman DMD routinely check patients for gum problems, including bleeding, swelling and pain. When a serious condition such as periodontal disease occurs, E. Scott Saltzman DMD Family and Cosmetic Dentistry provide Triangle area patients with effective treatment to restore dental health. However, patients should take the lead in preventing or halting gum problems by following a few simple suggestions, especially this busy Holiday Season.
Triangle patients who adopt the following six ways for better dental health will greatly reduce any future health issues:
- Use soft bristled toothbrushes: Brushing should never be harsh or painful. Some people create swollen or sore gums by using medium or hard-bristled toothbrushes. Dr. Saltzman recommends soft bristles that massage the gums and gently remove food particles.
- Floss gently, as often as possible: Gums are soft and can easily be cut by dental floss. Use a back-and-forth motion to slide floss between teeth and follow the curve of each tooth. When flossing becomes a habit, it takes only a minute or so but provides cleaning where toothbrushes cannot reach.
- Use water when brushing: Whether it’s bottled or straight from the kitchen faucet, plain water aids dental health and brushing. After a meal, water helps cleanse the mouth, washing away food that can lead to gum disease.
- Use mouthwash as needed: Reducing bacteria in the mouth is the first line of defense against gum disease. Antiseptic mouthwash, used daily, will reduce bacteria.
- Try effective water flossers: These at home dental products can clean between teeth with a pulsing stream of water. They are very effective at removing food from between teeth and around the gum line. Dentists and hygienists routinely notice improvement in gum health among patients who use water flossers.
- Correct toothpaste selection: Certain toothpastes are formulated for patients with sensitive teeth and gums. Dr. Saltzman and his staff will provide recommendations on brands that reduce discomfort during brushing.
With the Holidays and the New Year just around the corner, it’s time to commit to new habits. Following these six tips for healthy gums is a great way to start 2017.**
This informative post about dental health and cosmetic treatments is brought to you by Saltzman Family and Cosmetic Dentistry in Cary NC. Please call us for an appointment today.
919 380 9311
202 Town Village Drive
Cary, NC 27513
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
The material contained in this blog article is intended solely for informational purposes and is not intended to be offered as medical advice in any manner or form. Always consult a dentist, doctor or licensed medical professional with any questions.