Having the correct tools available makes every home project simple and easy. It’s no different with dental care. A toolkit for dental health requires just a few items, but each one has a key role in protecting teeth and gums from disease. Cary NC-based DMD, E. Scott Saltzman makes sure that every Triangle patient understands home dental care. E. Scott Saltzman DMD Family and Cosmetic Dentistry’s webpage even includes a thorough explanation of how to brush, floss and rinse.
Dental patients in the Triangle need to understand five important facts:
- Toothbrush: Both manual and electric toothbrushes can do a proper job of cleaning teeth. Dr. Saltzman recommends soft bristle brushes as these are less likely to damage teeth enamel and gums. Brushes should be replaced at least every three months.
- String floss or dental tape: Whether waxed or unwaxed, string floss effectively removes plaque from teeth when used consistently. Dental tape is recommended for those with wider than normal spaces between teeth. Teeth should be flossed at least once every 24 hours, but twice a day is ideal.
- Water flosser: Water irrigators shoot a strong stream of water between teeth and at the gum line. Patients with gum disease have achieved significant improvement with daily use of a water flosser. Many patients find them easier to use than string floss, but it’s best to use both for maximum dental health.
- Mouthwash: Bacteria are the enemies of teeth and gums. Rinsing with an antiseptic mouthwash once or twice a day kills the bacteria before they can do damage to teeth and gums. Mouthwash is a final preventative measure that also cleans the tongue and entire interior of the mouth; something not possible with brushing and flossing alone.
- Toothpaste: With so many choices of toothpaste on the market, patients may be confused about which one is best. Dr. Saltzman recommends choosing one containing fluoride. Some products are designed for those with sensitive teeth and others include whitening agents. The best one is the brand used all of the time.
Regular dental cleanings and exams are part of the Triangle tool kit for great dental health. If it’s been more than six months since the last cleaning, call the office of E. Scott Saltzman DMD Family and Cosmetic Dentistry today.
Our office in Cary is accepting new patients.
This informative post about the dental health tool kit and cosmetic treatments is brought to you by Saltzman Family and Cosmetic Dentistry in Cary NC. Please call us for an appointment today.
919 380 9311
202 Town Village Drive
Cary, NC 27513
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
The material contained in this blog article is intended solely for informational purposes and is not intended to be offered as medical advice in any manner or form. Always consult a dentist, doctor or licensed medical professional with any questions.
Photo: cool design, free digital photos