Triangle residents who observe four very important, yet basic habits of dental care are less likely to have problems with their teeth and gums. Dr. E. Scott Saltzman and his staff instruct patients in what they can do to keep their smiles healthy and bright. It really isn’t very difficult to stay on top of dental health. Patients, hygienists and Dr. Saltzman all work together to prevent disease and cavities.
- Scott Saltzman DMD Family and Cosmetic Dentistry explains four key habits that give patients the best chance at maintaining healthy teeth:
- Healthy Diet: What goes into the human body plays a huge role in dental health. Most people know that sugary snacks and drinks are bad for teeth because the sugar contributes to decay. It is important to note that there also are foods and beverages that support strong teeth. Dairy products, carrots, celery, leafy greens, and almonds provide vitamins that teeth need. Eating an apple actually can help clean teeth between brushings. Plain water helps wash away food residue from teeth.
- Daily “smile” maintenance: It probably can’t be repeated often enough: brush and floss. Teeth should be brushed a minimum of twice a day because residue that remains on teeth for longer than 24 hours starts to harden and becomes more difficult to remove. Because a toothbrush cannot reach between teeth, flossing, with either dental floss or a water flosser, is another daily habit that prevents decay and gum disease.
- Regular professional cleanings from Dr. Saltzman: Even with daily flossing and brushing, it’s difficult to prevent all instances of plaque and calculus build-up on the teeth. Only the professional equipment used by dentists and hygienists is capable of removing this hard substance. It’s important to keep to a regular cleaning schedule as determined by Dr. Saltzman. Some patients may need more frequent cleanings than others.
- Prompt corrective action: Delaying dental treatment is a bad idea. Tooth pain and discomfort generally don’t resolve themselves. A small cavity is much easier to fill than a larger one. Quick action can prevent tooth loss and gum disease.
Practice these four key habits to keep teeth and gums healthy for years. If it’s time for a cleaning or a complete dental exam, call the office of E. Scott Saltzman DMD Family and Cosmetic Dentistry today to make an appointment. He is accepting new patients and treats all ages. The office is convenient from anywhere in the Triangle.
This informative post about dental health and cosmetic treatments is brought to you by Saltzman Family and Cosmetic Dentistry in Cary NC. Please call us for an appointment today.
919 380 9311
202 Town Village Drive
Cary, NC 27513
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
The material contained in this blog article is intended solely for informational purposes and is not intended to be offered as medical advice in any manner or form. Always consult a dentist, doctor or licensed medical professional with any questions.